On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 21:41, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Brian Parish wrote:
>

> >Dons audio engineer hat....
> >

> >The idea to use rezound is probably a good one just because it allows
> >you to see what's going on.   Of course if there are 3000 tracks to
> >process, the CLI approach has a lot to recommend it!
> >
> >HTH
> >Brian
> >

> Thanks, to all, for the support from you have given me, you have
> opened
> up a treasure of possibilities for me in regard to getting to grips
> with
> sound manipulation.
>
> May I first confirm that there are a number of options as regards to
> which normalize command I should choose when trying to reset sound
> levels, here are what I have guessed from the help files and man
> pages,
> no practicable examples are give , so it's a question of trial and
> error. Still this is generally how I have currently come to
> understand it,
>
> normalize  -n --no-adjust *.wav
> n= a number, but what ? not clear from helpfile exactly what number.
> I don't quite understand exactly what this is doing but seems to
> indicate it is assessing the  current state of .wav files and what it
> thinks it needs to be done without actually implemmenting it, correct ?
>
> Below seems to be the general range of the normalize -g command,
> correct ?
> normalize -g 1.1 *.wav
> normalize -g 1.2 *.wav
> normalize -g 1.3 *.wav
> normalize -g 1.4 *.wav
> normalize -g 1.5 *.wav
> normalize -g 1.6 *.wav
> normalize -g 1.7 *.wav
> normalize -g 1.8 *.wav
> normalize -g 1.9 *.wav
> normalize -g 2.0 *.wav = twice volume level
>
> Then there is a normalize -a command (amplitude ?)
> with a range as follows,
> normalize -a 1.0 *.wav scale 0.0 to 1.0
> normalize -a 0.9 *.wav
> normalize -a 0.8 *.wav
> normalize -a 0.7 *.wav
> normalize -a 0.6 *.wav
> normalize -a 0.5 *.wav
> normalize -a 0.4 *.wav
> normalize -a 0.3 *.wav
>
> normalize --amplitude=AMP *.wav
> This didn't do anything for me so I must have it wrong.
>
> There also seems to be a normalize -m *.wav command,
> haven't yet sussed this one.
>
> I have a current project inwhich an old audio tape circa 1975 of an
> audio
> recording of Faure requiem recorded in 1963 of the Paris Conservatoire
> orchestra, conducted by Andre Cluytens, and old favourite of mine, and
> of which I would dearly like to make a first class audio CD of,
> purely for
> my own enjoyment.
>
> The tape itself seems to play well enough, I don't think there is
> excessive
> wear in it's quality, but bear in mind it has been played, and
> magnetic tape
> [...]

John,

To get quality, you need to achieve a reasonable level when first
recording the input from the tape.  Recording at low level then boosting
the signal later is like starting out with an 8 bit recording then
converting it to 16 - it will end up looking like CD quality, but still
sounding like an old cassette.

What you need to concentrate on then is setting the initial level so
that it's well below distortion on the peaks, but not too far.  rezound
or audacity include meters for displaying the record levels, so using
one of these to do the initial recording should allow you to manipulate
the input level until the meters are bouncing up to close to the red
zone on the loudest peaks.  That way you are using close to the full
96dB available for 16 bit recording - far greater than the dynamic range
on your original recording - and you should hear no degradation of
signal compared with the original.

cheers
Brian