Brian Parish wrote:

Dons audio engineer hat....

The idea to use rezound is probably a good one just because it allows you to see what's going on. Of course if there are 3000 tracks to process, the CLI approach has a lot to recommend it!

HTH
Brian

Thanks, to all, for the support from you have given me, you have opened
up a treasure of possibilities for me in regard to getting to grips with
sound manipulation.

May I first confirm that there are a number of options as regards to
which normalize command I should choose when trying to reset sound
levels, here are what I have guessed from the help files and man pages,
no practicable examples are give , so it's a question of trial and
error. Still this is generally how I have currently come to understand it,

normalize  -n --no-adjust *.wav
n= a number, but what ? not clear from helpfile exactly what number.
I don't quite understand exactly what this is doing but seems to
indicate it is assessing the  current state of .wav files and what it
thinks it needs to be done without actually implemmenting it, correct ?

Below seems to be the general range of the normalize -g command, correct ?
normalize -g 1.1 *.wav
normalize -g 1.2 *.wav
normalize -g 1.3 *.wav
normalize -g 1.4 *.wav
normalize -g 1.5 *.wav
normalize -g 1.6 *.wav
normalize -g 1.7 *.wav
normalize -g 1.8 *.wav
normalize -g 1.9 *.wav
normalize -g 2.0 *.wav = twice volume level

Then there is a normalize -a command (amplitude ?)
with a range as follows,
normalize -a 1.0 *.wav scale 0.0 to 1.0
normalize -a 0.9 *.wav
normalize -a 0.8 *.wav
normalize -a 0.7 *.wav
normalize -a 0.6 *.wav
normalize -a 0.5 *.wav
normalize -a 0.4 *.wav
normalize -a 0.3 *.wav

normalize --amplitude=AMP *.wav
This didn't do anything for me so I must have it wrong.

There also seems to be a normalize -m *.wav command,
haven't yet sussed this one.

I have a current project inwhich an old audio tape circa 1975 of an audio
recording of Faure requiem recorded in 1963 of the Paris Conservatoire
orchestra, conducted by Andre Cluytens, and old favourite of mine, and
of which I would dearly like to make a first class audio CD of, purely for
my own enjoyment.

The tape itself seems to play well enough, I don't think there is excessive
wear in it's quality, but bear in mind it has been played, and magnetic tape
is not reknown for it longevity. Anyway to my ear it sounds still good.
Now using gramofile I have managed to cache up 9 .wav files, the first
attempt of which was so quiet that even with my computer's sound level
turned to maximum volume it wouldn't be regarded as very good sound
level.Nevertheless , by turning up the source soundlevel beyond normal
green sythesizer levels (the visual stuff) into the orange and red I can get
a higher sound level cached up on the HD. It is still not much regarded
by my computer as being load, and the sound level is such that the quality
of play is I believe not as good, bear in mind that may just be because the
higher source levels brings out the imperfection, but I suspect it is
actually
distorting the wave pattern. Gramofile dosn't seem to have any graphical
sound display aspect to it's capabilities.So maybe gramofile is not the best
tool in this respect.

I have rezound and audacity on my system, but both seem only to want
to work upon audio files already cached to HD, which is all very useful but
not the problem I face, I really want to be able to feed the sound stream
from source, into a graphical programme that enables me to see what kind
of general sound level and quality of wave form I'm getting from the
source, and to make adjustments to that situation from the beginning
rather than turn it into a hit and miss affair.
It is possible that either or both of these programmes do this but if so
I haven't found out how, to date.

Anyhow once cached to HD, rezound plays the audio .wav files, but the
quality of the sound is much worse than when the same files are played
in an ordinary .wav sound player programme like xcdroast has built into
it ( KSCD and the like don't play cached HD .wav files only CD's) but
possibly this is as it should be. I don't know, this is all very new to
me and I'm feeling my way .

So at the moment,  I can cache the tape to HD and play them as .wav
files , but the sound levels are poor and I need to learn how best to
use the apps to repair and restore .
Hints and suggestions welcomed.

John

--