On Tuesday 18 November 2003 08:35 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:

> Melissa, first off the install seems to insist on setting shorewall on at
> first boot. So go to a console and type su and then give the root password
> and at the next prompt type "mcc" w/o the quotes. Then when the control
> center pops up choose "security" and "drakfirewall" (you can also get this
> by just typing the drakfirewall in console but MCC is better looking. )
> Once you have the firewall gui put a x in allow everything and click on OK.
>  Don't close the MCC panel but go ahead and start a browser, it should
> connect. Then you can go back the the drakfirewall and take the x out of
> the box and the firewall will reengage but you will now be able to surf etc
> with Shorewall protecting you to a fair extent. Later when you have time
> and the curve is not so steep you can customize the firewall.
>
> Name:  smtp.coxmail.com  I believe this can be almost any name but I put my
> IP host name here also.
> Host: smtp.coxmail.com  (or what ever your host is)

FWIW, you can test to see if shorewall is the problem by typing 'shorewall
clear' as root.  This basically turns it off temporarily so you can see if
your connection works without it running.  If the connection works after
clear, you can start messing around with the configuration to see what the
problem is.

The only way Shorewall blocks outgoing traffic, is if you make manual
adjustments to the config files though, so I am more inclined to believe that
it might be related to the Internet connection itself.

Melissa, you didn't say what kind of Internet connection you have, DSL, cable,
dial-up?
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx