On Tuesday 18 November 2003 10:16 pm, Melissa Reese wrote:
> I have a cable connection.  I'm currently using a Linksys external
> cable modem, which is connected to my computer via USB.
>
> I also have a dialup modem, which I only use on those very rare
> occasions when the cable is down.
>
> During my Mandrake installation, when it came to the connection wizard
> (something like that), it automatically detected two items:
>
> winmodem
> lan

Do you have an ethernet card in your machine anyway.  It sounds like
drakconnect is detecting your winmodem, (yuck) and an ehternet card, but
missing the cable modem on usb.  If your cable modem can take an thernet
connection, you might be better off connecting the cable modem to your nic as
opposed to your usb port.  I am not familiar with hooking up cable modems to
usb ports under linux though, so if you want to take that issue up, I'll have
to defer to someone else on the list.

You seem to be doing great though in your experimentation.  I hope your not
getting frustrated, but instead soaking up the learning experience as you
take control of your own computer.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx