Hello,

Now that I have Mandrake installed, I'd like to get it to work with my
cable modem.  I'm currently using a Linksys external cable modem, and
it's connected to my computer via USB.

I also have a backup dial-up modem in the machine, but I only need to
use it when the cable goes down temporarily (doesn't happen often).

I just had Belarc Advisor do a hardware/software profile of my
machine, and here's what it found under "Communications":

=======================================
Generic SoftK56 [Modem]
SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Network Card MAC Address: [snipped]
Network IP Address: [snipped]
=======================================

I don't know if the "SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter" is an
internal card, or if this identifies my external cable modem.

In any event, when I went through the Mandrake installation, it
detected two things during the Network/Connection wizard:

winmodem
lan

Since it detected these, it suggested that instead of manually
configuring the IP address, etc., I should just accept the defaults as
detected (including depending on dhcp for detecting IP/gateway). I did
so, and everything *seemed* to be just fine.

When I got into the KDE desktop, I found that I could not connect to
the Internet. I went into the Mandrake Control Center, and tried to
figure out what was happening. While I did see "sis900" listed under
the Network Configuration, there was no IP address, and no "gateway"
address (I'm not really sure what this is supposed to be).

Does anyone here have experience with this type of external modem
working with Mandrake/Linux?  What can I do to get connected?

I really appreciate all the help and encouragement I've been given
here, and being ever greedy for more help, I ask that someone rescue
me now! :-)

Thanks!

- --
Melissa

PGP public keys:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&Body=Please%20send%20keys