Hi H.J.Bathoorn,

On Wednesday, November 19, 2003, at 1:49:03 PM PST, you wrote:

> Well for one: Your cable-ISP isn't mentioned in the routing table so
> prolly you don't have internet access other than via ppp....you
> already knew that didn't you:D

I don't know...I'm just bumbling along as well as I can.  :-)

> I can't quite figure out your eth0:9....maybe your USB connection
> after all. I've never seen 127.255.255.255 used before. Maybe
> somebody else has.

> Your best bet is (IMHO) to reconfigure the internet yet again. If
> you've got the cable modem connected to a NIC don't chose the
> "cable" option but go for the "lan" to configure your connection.

I've lost count of how many times I've tried this. Only once did I
actually *see* signs of hope...it was just after I removed the "USB
cable to nowhere", and re-started, booting into Mandrake. During that
one boot process a "DOS-Like" network configuration thing came up
(first time I've seen this...usually it's a GUI), and walked me
through the configuration. During that process, I did see it properly
pick up my IP address, etc. However, after that, nothing seems to have
changed in my actual LAN configuration setup as it was before.

Is there any way to completely wipe the slate clean with regards to my
LAN Configuration, then start over?

> Be sure to set your ISP as 'nameserver' and as "default gateway'.
> Otherwise you won't get far.

Can you specify just what that means?  Should I must put:

"'isp'.com" in those?  Or is there a more proper way to specify my ISP
in those fields?

> I gather your ISP uses DHCP (i.e. no fixed addres) so enable that.

Yes.  Interestingly, though DHCP is used, my IP address rarely
changes.  Usually only when something goes wrong, and I have to re-set
things.  Otherwise, even when I unplug the modem and plug it back in,
I still have the same IP address as before.

> The host and domain name can be anything you fancy...doesn't really
> matter.

> If you "right-click" on those rpm's you'll be offered the option
> "open with software installer...", after which you'll be prompted
> for the root passwd.

Hmmm.  That's exactly what I did.  I may try again.  Or I'll try
this...

> Otherwise (fastest): As root/su in a console, "cd" to the directory
> where the rpms are

Um...can you tell me the whole sequence?  Or is it self-explanatory
once I type "cd"?

> ... and do: "urpmi name_of_app.rpm" and away it goes!:) In this case
> the <tab> key is your best friend.....type in urpmi then the fisrt
> letters of the rpm you want to install and hit <tab>....after which
> the name will auto-complete. Saves a lot of secure typing:)

I'll try this.  Thanks!

- --
Melissa

PGP public keys:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&Body=Please%20send%20keys