Hi Charlie,

I think my problem is *almost* fixed! ... read on...

On Wednesday, November 19, 2003, at 10:02:26 AM PST, you wrote:

> Have I mentioned that you have to change the connection to the
> ethernet port yet? <eg>

Hee hee...I have a semi-embarrassing confession (but *almost*
understandable!)...

Indeed...my Linksys cable modem *was* connected to the Ethernet
adaptor via the proper cable.  However...here's one thing that
confused both Mandrake and myself...

This is a new computer. My old computer didn't have the Ethernet card,
so I had to connect the modem via USB.  When we hooked up the new
computer, while the correct connection was made to the Ethernet
adaptor, the old USB cable was plugged into a USB port (though it was
just hanging there...going to nowhere).  I unplugged the unhappy cable
to nowhere, and Mandrake no longer detects this mysterious USB
connection (and no longer tries to connect to it).

Just to be safe (or at least to try anything), I unplugged my modem,
waited a bit, then plugged it in again, and re-started the computer
(booting into Mandrake).  During the boot up, Mandrake's network
connection wizard detected the "new" LAN, and asked if I wanted to
configure it.  Yes! :-)  I went through all the steps, and watched as
it *successfully* detected my IP address, etc., then at the end, it
said that all was successful.  However...

Once in KDE, I was still not connected, and the LAN Configuration in
Mandrake Control Center still said this (as it still does at this
moment):

Interface: eth0
IP Address: No IP
Protocol: dhcp
Driver: sis900
State: down

I tried to run the configuration wizard from the Control Center, and
again, it *said* that it was successful...but still no joy.

Also, when I tried to re-start, and watch the boot process in verbose
mode, I saw something like this (paraphrased badly, because it went by
quickly, so I'm going on sketchy memory):

Interface eth0 [Failed]
Interface eth1 sis900 device does not seem to be present  delaying initialization
[Failed]... and so on

Then...I got an email from someone from a different list, and here's
what he provided:

Mandrake Linux Update Advisory

 Package name:           drakxtools
 Advisory ID:            MDKA-2003:027
 Date:                   November 14th, 2003

 Affected versions:      9.2

 Problem Description:

 A number of bugs have been fixed in the drakxtools package.  Primarily,
 problems with drakconnect were fixed.  The old behaviour of drakconnect
 to detect network interfaces was to load all of the network modules
 corresponding to current hardware and look for network interfaces
 created by the module loading.  However, determining network
 interfaces in this way prevented drakconnect from ever seeing USB
 ethernet adapters.  As well, the way in which drakconnect mapped real
 network interfaces to a logical configuration prevented drakconnect from
 mapping interfaces without an alias in /etc/modules.conf.  Finally,
 drakconnect had problems handling wireless network devices correctly.
 The updated package also provides a more up-to-date wireless modules
 list so drakconnect is able to determine more types of wireless
 devices.

 A number of other smaller bugs have been repaired as well and
 MandrakeSoft encourages all users to upgrade to these new packages.

 Updated Packages:

 Mandrake Linux 9.2:
 93c41f233aea463f39f97e21cce25945  9.2/RPMS/drakxtools-9.2-19.2.92mdk.i586.rpm
 2bd5241c7b74c49c8cbdb0977e1a073c  9.2/RPMS/drakxtools-http-9.2-19.2.92mdk.i586.rpm
 98fd8998ebf5c1b11f2e09413502d40e  9.2/RPMS/drakxtools-newt-9.2-19.2.92mdk.i586.rpm
 5c61431417ce4b5c47aec2f1136f0143  9.2/RPMS/harddrake-9.2-19.2.92mdk.i586.rpm
 7008bb1b92e57666146e40fbf3025fd7  9.2/RPMS/harddrake-ui-9.2-19.2.92mdk.i586.rpm
 143eabb1365119112210a3d3afba288d  9.2/SRPMS/drakxtools-9.2-19.2.92mdk.src.rpm

Well now, even though the above does mention "USB ethernet adaptors",
and I no longer have *that* problem (never did, apparently :-)), I'm
still wondering if I should need those updated bits to make even my
current problems go away?  In any event, I now have a question
regarding this:

Since when I'm in Mandrake, I can only connect using the dial-up, and
the above packages are over 15 MB in size, can I, from Windows, go
somewhere to search for the specific updates (and others), download
them with my working cable connection, burn them to CD-R, then from
Mandrake, install them from the CD-R?

It sure would be a lot faster than trying to download them via
Mandrake Update at this point.

Thanks for your continued patience with me!  :-)

- --
Melissa

PGP public keys:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&Body=Please%20send%20keys