Tuesday 18 November 2003 9:14 pm, Melissa Reese wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Now that I have Mandrake installed, I'd like to get it to work with my
> cable modem.  I'm currently using a Linksys external cable modem, and
> it's connected to my computer via USB.
>
> I also have a backup dial-up modem in the machine, but I only need to
> use it when the cable goes down temporarily (doesn't happen often).
>
> I just had Belarc Advisor do a hardware/software profile of my
> machine, and here's what it found under "Communications":
>
> =======================================
> Generic SoftK56 [Modem]
> SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
> Network Card MAC Address: [snipped]
> Network IP Address: [snipped]
> =======================================
>
> I don't know if the "SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter" is an
> internal card, or if this identifies my external cable modem.

This adaptor is the alternative you should be able to use instead of the USB
connection to your cable modem Melissa. It's a "built-in" network interface
on the main board and I know it works auto-magically since I just did a cable
connection for a friend last night as part of a "What's this Linux stuff you
and others keep talking about" Q&A session. She has the same chipset
apparently since that's how the LiveCD version of Mandrake Linux identified
it.

(note to self: burn another copy since that one won't ever be returned it
seems.)

You still didn't give the required information my dear, _which_ Linksys USB
cable modem? Is it this one:

BEFCMU

? If so you have the option to disconnect from the USB and plug into the
on-board ethernet connection. You should have the correct cable since they're
provided in the box with the modem. The reason I keep saying (as do others)
that you need to plug into the ethernet port is simple, the only driver files
Linksys provides are for Windows.

> In any event, when I went through the Mandrake installation, it
> detected two things during the Network/Connection wizard:
>
> winmodem
> lan

lan=local area network.

winmodem=P.I.T.A., also known as your generic 56k softmodem. Called that
because it uses system resources to do the modem's job rather than utilizing
hardware to do, and thus is less expensive than a real modem.

You'll have to plug into the ethernet connection to get any satisfaction as
far as I know. I tried a couple of years ago to get a USB cable modem to work
and had zero luck. Things may have changed but from checking the Linksys site
and doing a major Google search it would seem unlikely. The problem as always
is that hardware vendors/manufacturers will jump through hoops to be
"certified partners" to Microsoft but don't want to know from shinola about
GNU/Linux.

> Since it detected these, it suggested that instead of manually
> configuring the IP address, etc., I should just accept the defaults as
> detected (including depending on dhcp for detecting IP/gateway). I did
> so, and everything *seemed* to be just fine.

That will work as soon as you plug into the ethernet connection so that the
system can actually find a connection to work with.

> When I got into the KDE desktop, I found that I could not connect to
> the Internet. I went into the Mandrake Control Center, and tried to
> figure out what was happening. While I did see "sis900" listed under
> the Network Configuration, there was no IP address, and no "gateway"
> address (I'm not really sure what this is supposed to be).

It can't find the modem, it has no drivers for it, in that persona the cable
modem is worse than a winmodem for dial-up.

> Does anyone here have experience with this type of external modem
> working with Mandrake/Linux?  What can I do to get connected?

You've already done all you need, except for unplugging the USB and plugging
into the ethernet port. Then just retrace your steps.

> I really appreciate all the help and encouragement I've been given
> here, and being ever greedy for more help, I ask that someone rescue
> me now! :-)
>
> Thanks!

If I wasn't roughly 3000 miles away you'd already have been playing "block the
pop-ups" and "kill the cookies" from a GNU/Linux browser under your spiffy
new Mandrake Linux install as you surfed your "Favourites." (-:

Have I mentioned that you have to change the connection to the ethernet port
yet? <eg>

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
QOTD:
        "I used to go to UCLA, but then my Dad got a job."