On Monday 24 November 2003 07:06 pm, Mike Adolf wrote:

>>> whack

> I afraid I can't take credit for a milestone because the Blaster (DI5601)
> modem I am using has a hardware controller (and uses ISA bus), and it did
> work with win98.  Only when I went to XP did it not work.  I did a little
> more research and found that some earlier hardware modems were missing a
> TAPI driver and would not work with 2000 or XP.  If I want adid  dual boot
> XP/MDK, I'll just have to cough up the bucks for a new modem.  Then I get
> to thinking! My computer is 5+ years old, maybe I should just get a new
> computer.  Are any configureations best for linus workstation?
>
> mike

Mike:
I guess you got stung by the manufacturers who figured that if they didn't
offer XP drivers for older hardware, folks would have to buy new hardware.
There's another gotcha here, too: AFAIK, ISA slots disappeared about three
years ago.

Not being able to get the old modem to run on the family-mandated XP sounds
like a good excuse to me. I've spent more with less justification. Be sure,
though, to study the specs very carefully. The trend to put everything on the
motherboard has some downsides -- for example, low end Dells (and others, I
expect) don't have floppies. My ASUS A7V8X-X only has one serial port. And so
it goes...

-- cmg