On Thursday 27 November 2003 06:13 am, et wrote:
> On Thursday 27 November 2003 02:07 pm, Mike Adolf wrote:
> > >
> > > The supported hardware page will give you a list:
> > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/hardware.php3
> > >
> > > As others have pointed out, any hardware modem should work fine; others
> > > may or may not be supported.
> > >
> > > Sir Robin
> >
> > Robin,
> > My Blaster Modem di5601-1 is a hardware moden and it works fine with
> > Linux. My porblem, since I want to upgrade 'half' my system to XP, it
> > won't work with XP, something about TAPI not working for earlier models.
> >
> > I was wondering. Can I install a second cheap PCI winmodem on another com
> > port to use just for windown XP, and use the Blaster modem for only
> > linux? Or will they confilct?
> >
> > Thanks to all,
> > mike
>
> where did you hear that XP won't work with an external hardware modem?

ed:
It's an internal ISA modem, and they often don't work in XP. I have no
experience with XP (and I intend to keep it that way), but when XP was first
released, a number of people were shocked to find that there were no drivers
for even relatively new hardware. It's possible that Creative decided not to
continue support for this modem since it was an ISA product. (It's called a
"marketing opportunity").

To the OP:
Some things to get that critter to work under XP:
1. Some ISA modems have jumpers to defeat plug-n-play so that you can set the
com port and interrupt manually. That was the only way that I could get my
old Zoom 2919 to work in Win98SE.
2. A google search for "blaster di5601-1 XP" only came up with 16 total hits,
which is not too encouraging. One was to
http://list.driverguide.com/list/company244/. You might pursue that -- it
does involve mandatory registration.

-- cmg