Adam wrote:
Wednesday, November 26, 2003, 4:44:48 PM, Charlie Mahan wrote:

How is it you run a Mandrake program, to wipe Mandrake off the system
entirely? Can you explain?

When running from the first CD you can access the same tools to remove the distribution as you would use to install it in the first place. It saves you having to buy proprietary software (Partition Magic etc) to do something that can be done with Free (as in beer) Open Source tools. Those tools will run from the disks and are loaded in memory to accomplish the tasks required, just as any other operating system's installer does it.

Sorry, I have never heard of any application that runs when the hard
drive contains no data at all.  Sounds a mystery.

I have not heard of another operating system that does this either.

Actually, some motherboards will let you play a CD without booting an OS. I noticed this feature in the BIOS of my new mobo, but never bothered to try it out.

Sir Robin