Wednesday 26 November 2003 12:50 pm, Adam wrote:
> Tuesday, November 25, 2003, 6:06:33 PM, JoeHill wrote:
> >> And today, I stick in a music CD, wait awhile, and nothing happens.
> >> Red Hat played the CD.
> >
> > OMFG! I would *immediately* uninstall Mandrake, there's obviously
> > something wrong when your OS doesn't read your mind! ;-)
>
> I didn't know a computer with a CD player shouldn't play music. But,
> now that you press me there, uninstall Mandrake you say.

The point is that the CD isn't affected by an "auto run" script as it would be
in Windows. If you want that function it's an option in the default KDE CD
player. Nobody said you couldn't or shouldn't play a music CD or anything
else you want, just that you have to _decide_ what you want and learn how to
do it. OK? That's why people ask questions on these lists, and why so many
people display a link to the community Wiki.

http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org

This is all open/free software after all. A bit of user interaction is
expected and required for almost everything. Point and click and plug'n'pray
are those other guys. (-;

> I look in the manual, and find a section "How to uninstall Linux." It
> describes uninstallation process, going like, "Delete all partitions
> related to Mandrake Linux on your hard drive... replace them by a
> single FAT partition using DiskDrake."

> How is it you run a Mandrake program, to wipe Mandrake off the system
> entirely? Can you explain?

When running from the first CD you can access the same tools to remove the
distribution as you would use to install it in the first place. It saves you
having to buy proprietary software (Partition Magic etc) to do something that
can be done with Free (as in beer) Open Source tools. Those tools will run
from the disks and are loaded in memory to accomplish the tasks required,
just as any other operating system's installer does it.

I don't think you thought that question through or the answer would have been
blatantly obvious.

> (Joe: Surely it doesn't bug you that much 'Does Mandrake have a CD
> player?' Maybe your computer predates CD drives.)

Attempted cheap shots against other list members; whether because they
disagree with you, or those that have displayed a tongue in cheek satirical
"analysis" type of response to someone's post, are probably not what one
would term good manners. I've been guilty of that behaviour myself in the
past, on both sides, but I've always apologized for it.

The apologies were sincere.

Do you have any other questions or issues with Mandrake Linux or GNU/Open
Source operating systems and software in general that you'd like to air?

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
12:56:55 up 6 days, 3:36, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.12, 0.09
The other line moves faster.