Is it the Notebook that is not detecting the PCMCIA slots, or the system? If
Linux is not finding the PCMCIA slots, then Linux may be looking for the slots
under resources being used by the sound card (remember that when you turn on
PnP in the BIOS, the settings for all devices may be changed from what they
were with PnP turned off). If this is the case, you may have to change the
PCMCIA set up to make things work with PnP turned on.

Just another shot in the dark from,

Ernie