Anne Wilson wrote:
On Sunday 07 Dec 2003 5:54 am, Lanman wrote:

Something curious to note here ( at least for me ), is that I find
that most of my clients are eager to
learn when you take the time to teach them a few things, and to
explain something in plain English
instead of "Techno-Babble".

In truth, it's the techno-babble that mostly scares people off. It takes time and effort to explain things without it. Good luck to you on that, Lanman. I know your explanations got me out of some real fixes when I was starting out.

Very true, and the problem is that once you've been messing with Linux for a while, you tend to forget what is technobabble and what isn't. As the semi-official techie for our office, I'm always answering questions with lines like "Just FTP it to the server." Then the blank stare reminds me that the person doesn't know what "FTP" or "server" mean.

Sir Robin

--
"Certitude is possible for those who only own one encyclopedia."
- Robert Anton Wilson

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi