On Monday 08 December 2003 10:15 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 08 Dec 2003 8:48 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> > > Lanman wrote:
> > >
> > > Some UPS's work as lanman described ie always off the battery but
> > > do check if the UPS you buy does this or does the 'switching'
> > > thing. It is a FAR better UPS to have than the 'switching' one.
> >
> > I take your point entirely, and oh boy am I glad I have a list to
> > ask these question on, because it's a pound to a penny I'd buy the
> > one the supplier wants to sell me, rather than the one , if I knew
> > which one, I really want. First I have to understand the techies
> > then search for the equipement, so thanks.
> >

> > Sure, the question here is, do I really have to fear , say, my
> > printer being crisped ?
> > I mean, so I get a power cut , ain't going to fry my printer is it
> > ? On the otherhand they tell me modems can be damaged , and of
> > course the computer itself. I'm not so sure modems are as much at
> > risk in UK as all that, my experience so far is that they can get
> > hung up after a powercut, or surge, but that you pass them some
> > init strings and that resets the factory settings quite nicely, off
> > and away she starts again.Sometimes just turning the power off and
> > on is all you need.
>
> I've no experience of a printer being fried, on any of the systems
> that I have been involved with.
laser printers can be pretty finicky about power. and the  one consideration
being ignored this go around is damage from nearby lightning strikes. the
Best reason yet for UPS and surge protectors. also consider that the opening
of a circuit (turning OFF the electric stove, or a moving electric motor even
more) can produce an even greater spike due to the collapse of the magnetic
field in the motor. however if the item you want to protect is less expensive
than the ups to protect it, and it fails less often than the ups batteries,
then as Alfred E. Newman says "what, me worry?".