On Saturday 06 December 2003 10:48 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> http://www.cclcomputers.biz/acatalog/
>
> They range from
>
> *300W ATX TUV Power Supply* Ref: PSU0001
> **Online Price  £14.38*£16.90 Including VAT at 17.5%*
>
> To,
>
> *Liebert 2.2Kva Powersure Interactive Mini Tower* Ref: UPS0006
> World Class Power Protection And Communications For Business Networks
> **Online Price  £387.75*£455.61 Including VAT at 17.5%
>

> Now I wonder what  I would need for my requirements ?
>

> John*

John:
Neither one. The first one is just a PSU; the second one is probably way too
big for your needs. (But then, I don't know what your needs are, do I?) That
puppy should be able to back up five or six workstations without breaking a
sweat.

I went through this exercise last year, and ended up with a 525 VA Belkin. I
would have preferred an APC, as they work right out of the box with Linux,
but the Belkin did a better job of matching up with some hardware constraints
that I had. IIRC, it cost about $135. It has sufficient reserve to keep my
system up for something like ten minutes -- adequate to do finish up whatever
I'm doing and shut down.

A couple of things to look for: Either USB or serial feedback -- this will
allow you to monitor the state of the batteries (hence the need for Linux
support), separate ports for such non-essential devices as speakers and
printers (these will have surge protection, but not power backup), and, if
you have a modem, a protected telephone line.

I went to the liebert site (http://www.liebert-hiross.com/), and found some
appropriate units clicking down through UPS ==> workstations. What I didn't
find on their site was any help on sizing and selection. APC has some very
good information at their site, although they may try to sell you more
capacity than you may need.

-- cmg