On Saturday 06 Dec 2003 7:24 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> >John:
> >Neither one. The first one is just a PSU; the second one is
> > probably way too big for your needs. (But then, I don't know what
> > your needs are, do I?) That puppy should be able to back up five
> > or six workstations without breaking a sweat.
> >
> >I went through this exercise last year, and ended up with a 525 VA
> > Belkin. I would have preferred an APC, as they work right out of
> > the box with Linux, but the Belkin did a better job of matching
> > up with some hardware constraints that I had. IIRC, it cost about
> > $135. It has sufficient reserve to keep my system up for
> > something like ten minutes -- adequate to do finish up whatever
> > I'm doing and shut down.
> >
> >A couple of things to look for: Either USB or serial feedback --
> > this will allow you to monitor the state of the batteries (hence
> > the need for Linux support), separate ports for such
> > non-essential devices as speakers and printers (these will have
> > surge protection, but not power backup), and, if you have a
> > modem, a protected telephone line.
> >
> >I went to the liebert site (http://www.liebert-hiross.com/), and
> > found some appropriate units clicking down through UPS ==>
> > workstations. What I didn't find on their site was any help on
> > sizing and selection. APC has some very good information at their
> > site, although they may try to sell you more capacity than you
> > may need.
> >
> >-- cmg
>
> Forgive my utter ignorance here.
>
> An UPS,
> does it sit between the ring main and each
> individual computer.

Yes

> If the latter then in the case of a situation
> as I have , namely 4 computer within the one building, then I would
> have to constuct a new power supply setup so that each computer is
> powered off the same circuit whereever they are situated.Not an
> easy task for me.

You can get a network UPS, but it will cost you an arm and a leg.  I
decided that most of the computers here are only on when being used,
so don't need auto-clean-shutdown.  This is the 24/7 box, and I
decided to get auto-shutdown for this one.

> So an UPS, it's basically what, a big battery
> that supplies mains voltage for a period while the system powers
> down of it's own accord, or until you power it down manually,
> because if the later, what happens if your not there to power it
> down yourself.

Inexpensive ones hold it for a time - generaly 10-20 minutes, allowing
you to manually shutdown.  APC ones can run with apcd, which does the
auto-shutdown.

> Also, while an UPS keeps things going for a while, does an UPS
> prevent damage during a  power surge on start up ?

Yes

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302