On Friday 05 December 2003 03:37 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

>>> whack

> Turns out that my powersupply has failed.
> I substituted a know to work powersupply and she booted.
> Put the old one back and she fails.
> My guess is that the 3.3v line is supplying under voltage.
>
> Just goes to show that powercuts can easily damage powersupply
> units. Not only that, but it's the second unit, known to me,to go
> the same way in my locality, in the last month. Seems like Milton
> Keynes is becoming the powersurge capital ok the uk.
>

> Anyway, thanks, for your help.
>
> Now for a new PSU.
>
> John

John:
It might be a good time to consider a good UPS, too. It will allow you to keep
right on working through brief power outages; for longer ones, the UPS will
do a clean system shutdown without any effort on your part. An additional
advantage is that the better ones provide a constant supply voltage to the PC
which will prolong the life of your PSU and monitor, as well as filtering
some of the extraneous spikes that come down the line.
-- cmg