Hi All.

Having gotten no response to my original posting on this subject I'm
left to wonder if I have simply totally messed up my current install of
Mandrake 9.2 with my attempts to run update and therefore must simply
reinstall? Or perhaps my questions were just too ignorant of the issues
involved to be addressable in this forum. If that is the case, where can
I turn? Somehow or other I must get Mandrake running properly. It is
unusable for much of anything but email and web surfing at this point.
Why Evolution and Mozilla are still working I have no idea. Obviously
I'm in need of a lot of help!

For anyone who might have some helpful advice, below is the complete
text of my original post asking for help with this.

Thanks again for all the help and patience.

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 18:58, Langsley T Russell wrote:
> Hi all. I finally managed to update my mandrake 9.2 yesterday. I tried
> deleting the lock file from the /var/lib/urpmi file as directed by
> Derek, but was denied permission. So I thought I would change the
> permissions and then delete the lock file. After adding the permission
> to the /var/lib/urpmi directory I was able to download the update files
> without even deleting the lock file. Should I still delete the lock
> file? It took about 3 hours on my dial up connection to download the
> updates but it went without a hitch, I thought. KMail has likewise
> apparently been obliterated.
>
> When I booted up today I found that I no longer have the icons for any
> of the OO.o programs in my kicker/panel. In there place are several gear
> icons leading to nonexistent directories/files.I checked the "Office"
> heading on my main menu and there is no sign of OO.o there either. What
> did I do wrong? What must I do to get my OO.o programs back?
>
> I also now find that I have 20+ Gzip files (actually they are packages) in my
> /var/lib/urpmi
> directory. Should I do something with these? Are they even supposed to
> be there?
>
> I also now have about 30 text and XML files and about 24 directories in
> my home directory Which weren't there previously. Is this expected?
>
> Should I remove the added permission for/var/lib/urpmi?
>
> Also I no longer have any sound.
>
> Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

LTR  }}:{(
[EMAIL PROTECTED]