Langsley,
I'm sure you are not being ignored.

I for one am not sure what you were trying to do with urpmi,
You talk about updating, but what ?
Updating the entire OS , or just OO

I would not even attempt an urpmi update of an entire OS with nothing but a dialup modem
It's just too slow, my ISP will cut me off, you have to start again, and things just get messed up.

If you feel that your ISP will not cut you off at some particular time of day , say late at night, then a urpmi update of say kde, or mozilla or OO , is fine. But an entire OS, I wouldn't even try it . Personally I would try to suss out what packages you need and use a download programme to download the packages to a safe directory and then proceed to install them manually. Other folk disagree with me, they use urpmi all the time, but I don't.

It seems to me you have gotten some broken download going on for you, therefore maybe it is recoverable, I just don't know,

I should try to describe your current situation and see if the list can help you retrieve the situation, if at the end of the day it's not easy enought to make amends, it's a reinstall, but all I can say is linux goes a long way before it's all up to that final option.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]