Friday 12 December 2003 11:55 am, Langsley T Russell wrote:
> Hi Charlie and all who have offered assistance. Ti is truly appreciated.
>
> I'm sorry I'm so late in responding but I've been unusually busy this
> past week.

Busy is good. So are questions that I might be able to answer, since then I
don't have to listen to the neighbours while I'm typing a reply.

Or "customers." <g> So thanks for an excuse to butt in again. (-;

> I did manage to restore (almost) my K menu per your directions. I now
> have OO back in the "Office" section of the menu as well as a heading
> for terminals. However the only thing under terminals is "Konsole".
> Previous to doing the update there were, I believe, four choices there,
> including midnight commander. I haven't yet figured out how to get the
> others back. I still have no run command accessible from my K menu.

OK, *which* freakin' directions? (g> The command line, right click the K
button or???  The four choices _may_ have included midnight commander, have
you installed it? I don't know if there's a menu item for it even if you did,
I always call it from the command line when I need it. Just type mc in a
terminal and strike the enter key. If you are looking for "Konsole (Super
User Mode)" it isn't there any more. That's why I told you to hold the Alt
button and strike F2 and type
konsole --type su
and strike the enter key. You can add the SU Konsole back to the menu I
suppose (maybe, never tried it) by adding the relevant icon, name and
command, or just drag the Konsole out of the menu, click copy here and right
click the resulting icon click properties and change the execute command to
that posted above. On the desktop not the menu but at least you'd have it.

You're also missing File Manager Super User mode from the menu. Everyone
running 9.2 is. You can add an entry in the menu (maybe, as above) or again
add an icon to the desktop. Right click, New>link to application, right click
the new icon and the execute tab should have the command:

kdesu -nc konqueror

then you can change the icon to whatever you like. Click the icon on the
general tab and select "Other icons" for some interesting ones. I'm using a
small blue file cabinet icon listed as "archive section" when I add this to a
"victim's" desktop.

> So It isn't fully restored, but I believe I'm getting closer.

Yeah, maybe. (-;

> After my last experience with Mandrake update I'm a little hesitant to
> try it again, although I'm going to have to before long as the update
> notices keep coming in.
>
> The URL I have for updates is:
> <ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS>
> Does that appear to be my best choice? BTW I live in Indiana, in north
> east central USA, if that is any help.

It's one of the faster choices. It doesn't really seem to matter where the
mirror is in relation to your geographical fix. Available bandwidth in the
connections between you and the server is more important. The closest
relatively fast connection to you geographically would probably be the
mirros.secsup.org connection but again it may be farther away in terms of
bandwidth.

> The URL for update_source is:
> <ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RP
>MS> Although update_source is not enabled in the configure media box. Should
> it be enabled? And, is the URL acceptable?

I'll say it again Langsley, have a look at

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/ftp.php

ftp.stealth.net doesn't even seem to be on the list. In fact I can't connect
to ftp.stealth.net at all at the moment. I think I've given you a couple of
alternative URLs for updates, the reason that one is disabled may be that
there's no connection so the source is invalid. May be temporary or it may be
permanent. Who knows. Change to one of the others suggested in posts, or just
remove that one in the software source manager and OK your way out of that,
then let Mandrake Update suggest one that is working.

I just looked, the secsup mirror is still fairly fast from here, so is the
rediris one.

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS

ftp://ftp.rediris.es/mirror/mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS

> I'm still trying to understand what caused my problems with the update.
> Hopefully each new problem brings some new understanding of both
> Mandrake and Linux.

At least you're willing to tough it out and make the best of things as a
learning experience Langsley. Not that it matters, but for that you have
earned my respect. If I can help I'll do my damnedest to do so. Kudos.

> Again thanks for all the help.
>
> LTR  }}:{(
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
                -- Lily Tomlin