Friday 12 December 2003 5:02 pm, Langsley T Russell wrote:
> Hi again Charlie.
>
> You said:
> > OK, *which* freakin' directions? <g> The command line, right click the
> > K button or??? .....
>
> Actually I opted for the right click on the K button. My reasons were
> basically two. 1- Working from the command line I would have had no idea
> how to undo what I did if it turned out to be wrong. 2- I'm working on
> promoting Linux on the desktop and for virtually everyone not proficient
> in Linux, very much including me, that means working from a GUI.

I was funnin' with ya. (-; As long as it works it matters not which method you
chose, but for the timid lurkers out there a confirmation that either worked
for a professed "less than proficient linux user" may increase their
confidence levels.

> You also said:
> > I'll say it again Langsley, have a look at
> >
> > http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/ftp.php
> >
> > ftp.stealth.net doesn't even seem to be on the list. In fact I can't
> > connect
> > to ftp.stealth.net at all at the moment. I think I've given you a
> > couple of
> > alternative URLs for updates, the reason that one is disabled may be
> > that
> > there's no connection so the source is invalid. May be temporary or it
> > may be
> > permanent.
>
> I'm sorry if I seem not to be paying attention but I guess I'm a little
> confused about "updates" and "update_sources". Do I need both of these
> enabled? And is the same URL usable for both? From what you said in your
> response to me last spate of questions I'm taking it that Yes, both
> updates and update_sources should be enabled. I'm not quite as clear on
> whether or not the same URL is usable for both?

Don't apologize please! The point was that whether I posted that in response
to you or not those aforementioned timid lurkers are reminded that there are
ways to check server status. OK?

Frankly I'd recommend you remove both. The source for what you want was called
updates by Mandrake Update once upon a time, now it's called update_source,
next week who the hell knows. <g> Just nuke both and let Mandrake Update set
a new one up. Then you won't care what it's called either. (-:

Just be sure the one you pick from the list is one that is shown and is
recently synchronized from the list on the page mandrake secure that I
posted.

> I now have the Mandrake Secure Updates site bookmarked for future
> reference.

Good, it's handy. It will occasionally answer the "what's wrong with the
updates mirrors" question before it needs to be asked.

> Until I managed to successfully install Mandrake 8.2, I had been a
> Windows user since before W 3.1. My first installation of Windows was
> actually a FREE run time version which came bundled with a word
> processor.

> I've been dual booting since the install of Mandrake 8.2 but virtually
> never use windows at all any more. I had intended to delete windows
> completely from my computer once I got Mandrake 9.2 installed and
> running dependably. That is still my intent. These update problems have
> simply caused a slight delay.
>
> I really appreciate all the help in getting me to that point. With any
> fortuity, my PC will be completely Micro$oft free by the turn of the
> year. I'm sure I'll need a good of help in accomplishing that as well,
> but first things first.

Take your time. I'm aware of the good feelings one experiences knowing MS
is gone from ones life, but if you never boot to the other operating system
the only real difference is the free disk space. I didn't nuke Windows
completely until I gave away the original 13 GB hard drive this machine had
to open a slot for another larger drive. I hadn't booted Windows for at least
18 months at that point though.

> Oh yes, I still have no sound at all. Any ideas as to what the cause
> might be? That is somewhat less of an issue to me because, generally,
> the less noise-beeps, dings, chimes, etc. my computer makes the better I
> like it. However I would like to have it running properly.
>
> LTR  }}:{(
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I thought that was fixed, or have I confused this thread with another? What
sound card (on-board, PCI card???) chip-set? Do you have aumix installed, if
not I recommend you do so and post the output of

aumix -q

You're doing fine. (-:

Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
17:46:54 up 1 day, 2:19, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.25, 0.35
Class: when they're running you out of town, to look like you're
leading the parade.
                -- Bill Battie