Tuesday 09 December 2003 3:33 pm, Langsley T Russell wrote:
> Hello again John, and thanks for your response.
>
> I didn't think I was being ignored, rather possibly that my questions
> left people at a loss.
>
> The update to which I was referring is the "Mandrake Update" in the
> Software Management section of Mandrake control Center.

If you added update_source manually you'll have trouble. In the source manager
remove it and OK the result, then open Mandrake Update and let it offer you
sources, pick one and go from there. I've had to do this for three people's
systems, I don't know why.

Strange as it seems after that you can manually edit the address to pick a
mirror you prefer and use that. Again, I have no clue why.

> I've been getting notices from Mandrake virtually daily informing me of
> important updates. Therefore once I got URPMI set up, I think, I thought
> the first thing I should do was the update. Perhaps I was mistaken. I
> know that a dial up connection isn't ideal, but it's what I've got. My
> ISP is a small, local operation and very accommodating. It is nearly
> unheard of to get cut off by my ISP even after 10 hours or more of
> logged on time.
>
> I wasn't trying to update OO, but, OTOH, I don't really know what I was
> trying to update other than trying to keep my installation of Mandrake
> 9.2 up to date.
>
> Since posting my first request for help on this issue I've realized that
> my main menu is now quite truncated. It has a total of 10 primary
> listings or groups of listings. I don't for example have a run command
> in the list. Many of the groups also have far fewer listings than
> previously. The only thing listed under "Office" is "Address Books" and
> "Time management". Networking now only has about four sub groups. There
> is no instant messaging for example. More importantly, There is also no
> listing for opening a console so doing anything from the command line is
> literally impossible as far as I can see. And as I said in my first post
> I have no sound. I've tried everything I can think of to get it back but
> no success. All of these things combined would appear to indicate that
> there are more difficulties than no OO.

Try to fix the menu trouble before you add any more software sources.

Log into a terminal as super user and use the update-menus -nv command. Then
do the same as user. See below for a brief how-to open a terminal when your
menus are whacked.

OR, right click the K menu button, panel menu  and click Configure Panel.
After you get a menu display just click save. Another case of "HUH?" but it
seemed to work for a lady I assembled a new system for last week. <sigh> This
is GNU/Linux, anything, no matter how weird, is possible.

> Do I need to return to Easy URPMI and update the information? If so What
> should I select and what should I leave unchecked?  Providing I can find
> some way to open a console,can I continue to copy information from that
> site into a console with no ill effect? I guess the answer to that is no
> seeing as I've already managed to mess things up pretty well.

I doubt it but you can if you like. Since urpmi doesn't seem to care how many
sources you configure, as long as you don't try to use the same name or
identical URLs, I don't see why not.

To open a console have you tried holding the CTRL button and striking the F2
button? Type "konsole" in the resulting run command box then strike the enter
key. Or if you want to go directly to super user mode type "konsole --type
su" and strike the enter key. It should work. Leave out the quotes of course.

> Once again thanks for all the help!!
>
> LTR  }}:{(
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Good luck and sorry to butt in again.
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
15:59:52 up 1 day, 4:58, 1 user, load average: 0.44, 0.32, 0.18
92. What software license?

        --Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say