On Saturday 20 December 2003 01:33, Lance Benton wrote:
> I'm starting this over as the last attempt to post failed miserably.
>
> Distro: Mandrake 9.2 Download Edition - Clean Install
> I currently am not booting into KDE, but it is installed
>
> Hardware:
> AMD XP 2600+/333
> K7NCR18D-Pro (Leadtek nforce2)
> 1GB PC2700 DDR333
> Maxtor 40GB ATA133
> Radeon 9700
> ASUS DVD-E616 (16x/48x)
> LiteOn LTR-48126S (48x24x48)
>
> What is the best way to install the nvidia nforce (motherboard) drivers?
> Their site has several suggestions, has anyone had success with any of
> them?
>
> I downloaded the files from here:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.html
>
> (I have tried the tar file, but it was full of errors on the "make"
> portion. I believe the entire thing errored out because of a change in what
> linux wants when from a make.)
>
> Nvidia doesn't have a Mandrake 9.2 download version, so that means I have
> to rebuild the source rpm, right? If so, what do I need to install to do
> that? Is everything included on the CD's and I just have to find it or are
> there external files needed? Luckily I have my laptop, so I can get files
> as needed (and email you all).
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

One big issue if you are either trying to build from source using rpms or tar
files is: You require the kernel source files and headers.
On mandrake that would be the "kernel-source".rpm for your specific version
(1.4.22-10 IIRC). Do "uname -r" if you're not certain.

This rpm is AFAIK not on the DE iso's nor is it installed by default, you'll
have to find it on the net or at mandrake-club.
If you've got your sources set up type (as su/root): "urpmi kernel-source" and
you'll be offered the choice.

Once installed you'll be able to build the srpm.

Good luck,
HarM
--
Registered Linux User #197998