On Saturday 20 December 2003 05:37 pm, jason pearl wrote:
> > I haven't had the pleasure (?) of assembling an AMD64 or Opteron system
> > for anyone yet, since they are still in the; "An arm, a leg, and possibly
> > the content of the  dexter sector of the scrotum" price range around
> > here. If they're available at all. Mostly special order stuff.
>
> yes they cost alot... i paid i think 350 for the opteron 1.6 and 250 for
> the asus sk8n board... and 375 total for a koolance case.. so yeah its a
> lil bit expensive but i think its worth the money ... the control panel
> on my MDK 9.2 32 bit takes 2 times longer to load then my 64 bit box..
> the boot process it like 4 times faster. there is ono pause at detecting
> ide drives .. but ithinkthats the change in kernels also .... i wasnt
> saying u were wrong i was just saying what i thought about his post i
> didint see what u had wrote yet :) later
>
> jason pearl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    ++++++++++++++++++
> "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Tupac
>    ++++++++++++++++++
> Kurrupted Visionz Phx, AZ    registered linux user #307811
> MDK 9.2 Linux                   http://counter.li.org
> AMD64 Opteron 1.6
> ASUS SK8N

My problems installing the nvidia linux drivers probably have everything to do
with me not knowing anything about linux. The only issue I had was that my
NIC was recognized, but wouldn't show up as a configurable adapter. Someone
mentioned that their board worked fine on a fresh install, but that was an
Asus board, commonly know as "the board to get". My Leadtek is commonly
referred to as "you got what & why?" I was able to get my extra NIC online
w/o problems and everything is working as expected. I'm completely happy --
and completely lost. I've worked with computers for a long time and I never
really forced myself into the linux world. I work in a 100% microsoft IT shop
so I don't really have any incentive to learn linux, other than I'm
completely bored with microsoft and I'm looking for a new challenge. Besides,
I'm a web administrator and what web-related person could consider themself
that w/o understanding linux!

Again, I thank you all for your patience with me and hopefully I'll be able to
become a productive member of this linux community.