> Log in as root and then type
> urpmi mc
> That will install midnight commander an easy to use text based
> file manager with an easy built in editor.
>
> Launch it with 'mc'

That's good to know when helping new users.

> IMO vi is totally newbie hostile. (After 3 years of using Linux I
> still only know 2 vi commands.)

Well, you should be using emacs, then.  :)  (just kidding)

I love emacs, but emacs and vi are both capable of intimidating a
new user out of using *nix.

Even better is when you run emacs in console mode, a newbie might
think "cool, there're pulldown menus while i learn", but i don't
know how to make them work.

eric

--
Mandrake HowTo's & More:          http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org