On Wednesday 24 Dec 2003 4:35 pm, ronald wrote:
> Op woensdag 24 december 2003 17:28, schreef John:
> > I tried the vi fstab. It came up as a new file. I must have done
> > something wrong. I also tried urpmi xfree86 incorrectly. I am lost
> > when it comes to the command line. Will keep trying anything
> > suggested. Sorry for the confusion on the email reply. Hope this works
> > better.
> > Thanks
> > John
>
> did you become root john? and did you cd to /etc before vi fstab?
>
> HTH and Merry Christmas!
>
> ronald

If you do not like the command line and vi, then do not use it.

From your KDE desktop Alt+F2 will open a box to run a command.

In the box type
kdesu kedit /etc/fstab

After prompting you for root password a simple text editor will open in
superuser mode.

Alternatively
kdesu konqueror
will open up a root copy of konqueror so you can browse for files and edit
them with a right click

There used to be a menu item for this, but for some unexplained reason
Mandrake took it out in 9.2

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net