On Wednesday 24 December 2003 18:41, Ken Green wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I think it's time to take it to the expert list.  At least you
> > will double your chances of it being read by someone who
> > recognises the problem.  Sorry I wasn't much help
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne:  IIRC, I saw your or someone else tread last week
> whereas some updates deleted some of the programs and
> applications such as it did to my 9.2.  I installed and
> reinstaalled 10 last weekend and narrowed it down to one
> or more of the 24 Bugfixes Updates.  Do you have any idea
> if the corrupted update(s) was/were fixed?

I believe so.  This is what Vincent wrote on the MandrakeSecure list
yesterday:

<quote>
No time to reply to every message.  Looks like our timing was bad on
this for a few things.

The cooker snapshot ISO slowed down the xfree86 mirroring, which may
have been a problem for a number of people updating on Friday and
possibly Saturday as well.    If you think of the snapshot mirroring
and people downloading them, the mirrors probably were moving slower
than usual.  Also, due to my over-protective scripts, not all of the
old XF86 packages were removed and I neglected to tell Stew (who
handled this update) about that.  It shouldn't have mattered because
the system where the hdlists were built didn't have them, but you
never
know.

It also looked like some mirrors had corrupt hdlists... not sure how
that happened, but it wasn't anything due to us.  I did regenerate the
hdlists to make all the mirrors force pick it up again this morning...
I don't know how they mirror, but a rsync would have cleaned up the
bad
hdlists quickly, whereas something like wget or fmirror may not
have.... and we can't control how mirrors mirror.

So, in short, hopefully things will start to work as they should from
this point forward.  And we're really sorry for the inconvenience
caused to folks... if we had known the snapshot was going out Friday,
we likely would have waited until today to release.
(/quote>

It looks as though this was a set of circumstances that couldn't have
been foreseen though  I suspect that there will be more communication
between Cooker and MandrakeSecure in future, as they probably both
had a shock.  No-one seems to know how the hdlists got corrupted
though.  Still, I think it is fair to say that you can expect the
upgrade to work now.  It would be nice, though, if someone who has
done it would confirm that.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302