On Sunday 11 January 2004 12:14 am, Frank Bax wrote:
> Printer port was already set to ECP+EPP.  I tried all possible settings
> anyway with same result.
>
> I plan to use a dlink 704P to share the printer, but that is not
> auto-detected either.  When I disable all three autodetection options, then
> locally connected is the only option presented for manual setup, so I
> thought I would try to configure printer locally, then change connection
> type to remote.

Although it is possible to share some printers through the Dlink 704P router,
it is not as seamless as doing so is under Windows because you don't have
access to the Dlink software.  Also, some things just will not work
correctly, especially those things that require two-way communication between
the printer and the computer.  Multifunction devices will NOT work correctly,
except for printing, and HP printers that have higher resolutions supported
for special paper types, like photo paper, will give you major errors when
used as a shared printer (the printer detects the paper type and tries to
offload higher intensity processing of the image to the CPU which can't
happen off the Dlink 704).

In all, I used the Dlink 704P for about a year and only had a single inkjet
printer hooked up to it for about 3 months, it is much easier and more
seamless to hook the printer up to a Linux machine directly and share the
printer among the Lan.  Also, I have not seen any noticeable lag when
printing large jobs through a print server, unlike with Windows where a job
could slow the print server machine down by half.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer