On 1/24/2004 at 12:17 PM Anne Wilson wrote:

>On Saturday 24 January 2004 12:12, Lanman wrote:
>>
>> You're kidding, right Aron? Just in case, I've provided
you
>> with a link. These super-computers make IBM mainframes
look
>> like 486's. They are every Tekno-Geek's wet dream. Kinda
>> like dreaming about owning a Ferrari Enzo. Please tell
me
>> you're kidding? Grin! ? IIRC, Cray2 Supercomputers start
at
>> around 2 Billion U.S., and I seriously hope I'm wrong
about
>> that, otherwise the interest I'm earning on my
hard-saved
>> $300.00 will never be enough !
>>
>> http://www.cray.com/
>>
>Didn't I read recently that Beowulf clusters have now
overtaken the
>Cray in power and speed?
>
>Anne

Anne; HHmmmm, you may have a point, but here's a snip about
their new "Entry-Level" supercomputers from The Register;

I Quote;

"This year will mark Cray's effort to package its Red Storm
supercomputer for a wider audience. The system will run on
hundreds of AMD's Opteron processors and, according to the
investor documents, be upgraded in 2005 with the Strider 2
system and then again in 2006 with Strider 3."

I love it when someone uses the words "hundreds" and
"Opterons" in one sentence to describe ONE System. Betcha
those suckers would be fast enough for a Linux desktop!
Grin!

IIRC, Cray2's ( or the current equivalent ) are custom
built for each client, and again, IIRC, they've only built
3 or 4 of them. NASA, the CIA, and Wall Street each have
one, and those are the only ones I know of. HMMmm, wonder
if they could be used as an online Solitaire "Gaming"
server? Multi-Player Solitaire anyone? Grin!
(Kinda defeats the purpose of Solitaire, don't it? )

Lanman