On 1/24/2004 at 7:35 AM Lanman wrote:

>On 1/24/2004 at 12:17 PM Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>>On Saturday 24 January 2004 12:12, Lanman wrote:
>>>
>>> You're kidding, right Aron? Just in case, I've provided
>you
>>> with a link. These super-computers make IBM mainframes
>look
>>> like 486's. They are every Tekno-Geek's wet dream.
Kinda
>>> like dreaming about owning a Ferrari Enzo. Please tell
>me
>>> you're kidding? Grin! ? IIRC, Cray2 Supercomputers
start
>at
>>> around 2 Billion U.S., and I seriously hope I'm wrong
>about
>>> that, otherwise the interest I'm earning on my
>hard-saved
>>> $300.00 will never be enough !
>>>
>>> http://www.cray.com/
>>>
>>Didn't I read recently that Beowulf clusters have now
>overtaken the
>>Cray in power and speed?
>>
>>Anne

>Anne; HHmmmm, you may have a point, but here's a snip
about
>their new "Entry-Level" supercomputers from The Register;
>
>I Quote;
>
>"This year will mark Cray's effort to package its Red
Storm
>supercomputer for a wider audience. The system will run on
>hundreds of AMD's Opteron processors and, according to the
>investor documents, be upgraded in 2005 with the Strider 2
>system and then again in 2006 with Strider 3."
>
>I love it when someone uses the words "hundreds" and
>"Opterons" in one sentence to describe ONE System. Betcha
>those suckers would be fast enough for a Linux desktop!
>Grin!
>
>IIRC, Cray2's ( or the current equivalent ) are custom
>built for each client, and again, IIRC, they've only built
>3 or 4 of them. NASA, the CIA, and Wall Street each have
>one, and those are the only ones I know of. HMMmm, wonder
>if they could be used as an online Solitaire "Gaming"
>server? Multi-Player Solitaire anyone? Grin!
>(Kinda defeats the purpose of Solitaire, don't it? )
>
>Lanman

Yup! I was right! There have been a "few" upgrades since
the Cray2! Found a link which shows some of the
past/present systems. Very Not Bad! Now I know where
ThermalTake got their inspirations from!

http://tergestesoft.com/~eddysworld/bfeat_04.htm

HHmmmm! Wonder what their on-site tech support response
times are like? <g>

Pant! Pant! Drool!

Lanman