A while ago I sent mail indicating that when I did "Update" in the 9.2 installer, it all but trashed by dual boot machine. No boot window and Windows would never boot (yea I know that's a good thing) and when 9.2 booted every thing was screwed up.  I got one reply which said I should have installed instead of updated. If I am using an product to take me from 9.1 to 9.2, logic tells me that the correct selection is "update".  It took a lot of effort to just bring Windows back and I decided that maybe I was not ready for Mandrake-- that installer needs work, big time!  I am going to give Debian a try. I know, it is more nuts and bolts than Mandrake, but I am not looking for something that's easy, just applications that work as the interface implies.  I am not burning bridges. Who knows, maybe I'll return to mandrake.

Thanks to all who gave me assistance :-)
mike