On Saturday 31 January 2004 03:21 pm, bascule wrote:
> rick,
> when i said put the alias line in modules.conf but try without it i didn't
> mean to imply that you didn't need a reference to analog in /etc/modules,
> cos you do!
oop - my mistake 8)  although, thats what I obviously dont fully understand
about each different syntax for these settings. I understand what "alias"
implies not how to use it 8)  yet ...

> the alias line simply tells the kernel that the module analog is the one
> that controls devices that have that major and minor number - or something
> like that, maybe someone else will explain:) but you will need to add
> analog to /etc/modules:
> scsi_hostadapter
> nvidia
> analog
> emu10k1-gp
> joydev
> sidewinder
>
> i see you have nvidia listed in /etc/modules, assuming you, like me are
> using the nvidia binary drivers do you not find that they are loaded
> automatically when X starts? there should be no need in a typical setup to
> specify the graphics driver, that is done in the config file for X and
> should be loaded from that reference, try it and see!
>
> bascule
<snip>

OK, I put in the order you showed and left the alias in "modules.conf"
and I still dont have the dev node and jstest fails ..
do I have to manually set the nod up .. js0 .. ?? it was being created when I
would do the modprobes manually.

--
RickS
Linux user #338463 - Mdk 9.2