ok, you got me, i'm not sure, here are my two files:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bascule]$ cat /etc/modules

scsi_hostadapter
emu10k1-gp
ns558
analog
joydev

the ns558 is for a second gameport so you don't need this, you will need the
sidewinder module but you already have that listed

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bascule]$ cat /etc/modules.conf

alias eth0 8139too
above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-1 snd-emu10k1
probeall scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci ehci-hcd

#the following is to get the webcam working in large mode
post-install pwc /sbin/insmod --force /lib/modules/usb/pwcx-2.4.20.o
>/dev/null 2>&1  || :

#alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia

as you can see i have nothing in the latter file that relates to
joysticks/gamesports,
the device node should be created automatically, so i'm not sure how to help
you any further

bascule

--
Carrot was two metres tall but he'd been brought up as a dwarf, and then
further up as a human.