On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:05:31 -0000, Tony S. Sykes wrote
> The problem we have though is that if the person was daft enough to have
> opened up the email attachment and been infected, they won't have a clue
> about how to fix it, or even if they are infected. I can't believe a
> regular list user to be that naive.

Well, you really can't fault the end user.  It doesn't take a degree in
computer literacy to switch the on button and send mail.  Nor should it.
Those days are gone and with good riddance.  Eventually the software will
become smart enough to keep up with daftest of users.  Although, I don't
think my parents will ever stop believing everything they read on the net...

But the bounced viruses is not just an end user or an MS problem.  This is a
Linux problem as well.  I haven't kept track, but most of
the 'undeliverable' bounced emails I get from other mail servers are coming
from other Linux mail servers (or at least non-MS servers).  I myself would
be one of those servers if I hadn't recently come to terms with the
problem.  It doesn't matter that this time it's the result of an MS virus.
I've found that spammers are using this same technique more and more (which
is what prompted me to change prior to this).

It's far easier to get your mail server config wrong, than it is to get a
working mail server up and running.  After all, bouncing an unknown user
doesn't seem like a bad thing, until you get 60 bounces from xyz.com
claiming you sent them an email to an unknown user.

I don't know what the solution is, but there's an awful lot of bandwidth
going to waste on bounced email these days.

and talk about bounced email ;)

Scott

--
Nothing goes to waste when Little Fish are near!
(http://www.littlefish.ca)