From: Lexx /Sigil [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 4:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Virus problems

Scott said:
> From my experience, this virus isn't just scanning
> address books and
> flailing away.  It's mixing and matching so if it
> finds [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] in an infected computer,
> it's going to fake
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> mandrake.com.  Given the odds (and a huge address
> book), sooner or later
> some of these composed addresses are going to start
> resulting in real
> addresses.  At least that's how it appears to me,
> judging from all the
> failed attempts in my mail server logs.
Yes, that's exactly what is happening I manage a
couple of domains and I'm getting mail adressed to
people who do not and have never existed.

> The thing that bothers me most about this virus is:
>
> - Not the virus itself.  It was quickly added to my
> filters, never to be
> seen again.
> - Not the faked addresses.  They are rejected (NOT
> BOUNCED) by my mail
> server and never returned.
>
> No, the thing that's most annoying is the continual
> stream of bounce replies
> from mail servers that feel the best solution to an
> unknown user is to send
> it back (to the faked sender) in full with comments.
>
> This is not the correct way to deal with mail,
> particularily when it's virus
> initiated.
Exactly my sentiments, I'm getting so many bounce
messages now it's getting beyond a joke.

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save
£80 http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This message, and any associated attachment is confidential. If you have
received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or
disclose the information in any way, and notify either Tony S. Sykes
or the postmaster <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  immediately.

necessarily the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless
specifically stated.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that emails and their
attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient(s)
to verify the integrity of such emails.

Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street