Scott said:
> From my experience, this virus isn't just scanning
> address books and
> flailing away.  It's mixing and matching so if it
> finds [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] in an infected computer,
> it's going to fake
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> mandrake.com.  Given the odds (and a huge address
> book), sooner or later
> some of these composed addresses are going to start
> resulting in real
> addresses.  At least that's how it appears to me,
> judging from all the
> failed attempts in my mail server logs.
Yes, that's exactly what is happening I manage a
couple of domains and I'm getting mail adressed to
people who do not and have never existed.

> The thing that bothers me most about this virus is:
>
> - Not the virus itself.  It was quickly added to my
> filters, never to be
> seen again.
> - Not the faked addresses.  They are rejected (NOT
> BOUNCED) by my mail
> server and never returned.
>
> No, the thing that's most annoying is the continual
> stream of bounce replies
> from mail servers that feel the best solution to an
> unknown user is to send
> it back (to the faked sender) in full with comments.
>
> This is not the correct way to deal with mail,
> particularily when it's virus
> initiated.
Exactly my sentiments, I'm getting so many bounce
messages now it's getting beyond a joke.

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80
http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk