On Thursday 12 February 2004 00:33, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> Please bear in mind I dont speak mandrake and linux poorly.  What should I
> do to the /etc/inittab file???

Quite frankly, you don't have to speak Mandrake lingo but it would help if you
read the answers you get, better.

I posted about 3 answers back in this thread, how you could edit the
/etc/inittab file along with some other options.

I didn't repeat the process of explaining again, expecting you to have read
it.

Anyhow here's the part again:
As an extra resort: Boot into failsafe and edit /etc/inittab there's a line
there at the beginning that reads:

id:5:initdefault:

Change the 5 to 3, save the file and reboot.

You'll need "vi" to edit that file or: install the wonderful Midnight
Commander (mc) with "urpmi mc" and then type "mc" to fire it up.
Find the /etct/inittab file and open it for editing using F4 and saving it
with F2.....It's a clone of the Norton Commander so if you've ever used that
(or dosshell or wincommander) you'll feel right at home:)

Luck needs to be pushed,

Good luck,
HarM

--