then you need to start your system with init level 3 to avoid X coming up,
now on traditional lilo setups there is instant access to a boot prompt, at
which you would type:
linux init 3
assuming your kernel was called 'linux'
with this new fangled 'ooh look its a pretty blue'! i'm not sure, i think if
you press esc when you get the list of boot choices you will be able to
access a prompt

bascule

--
"Does it worry you that you don't talk any kind of sense? "