On Thursday 12 February 2004 01:25, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
Hehe, looks you found it....forget my grumble, grumble mail on the
/etc/innitab issue......sorry;)

> Thanks I am well acquainted with vi but not mc.  Anyway it worked I loged
> into a text screen issued startx,  as me,  and was automatically loged into
> gnome.  Took a minute and 24 sec to log out (the problem with gnome).  Now
> how do I get into KDE to reset the autologin mode?

If/when youre in init 3 as su/root type "init 5" which should offer you a
graphical login and an option to choose the windowmanager option.

You could try typing "startkde" but I doubt if it'll work.
If you want to have a choice of windowmanagers from the console install Xtart.
"urpmi xtart".

From gnome you should be able to open a control center session too.
Open an xterm, and type "mcc" and you'll be prompted for the password if you
aren't root.

> I'm better acquanted with UNIX, as a user, on a desktop.(1975 version)
>
> > Luck needs to be pushed,
>
> Aint it the truth.
>
> A second question.  Do you know of any text that explains how mandrake
> works,  I'v looked in amazon and on the site?  I'm looking for something
> mandrake specific.

There used to be some tutorial demo's on the mandrake site, mostly 9.0 based.
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/demos/

Take a look at http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3 for .pdf/html files

Beside that, Mandrake is a straightforward linux distrib and most of the
solutions I've offered up to now wouldn't be much different on say a
Slackware box. That's not counting the Mandrake specific tools or wizards of
course.

Good luck,
HarM

--