Monday 23 February 2004 10:32 am, Christophe Rhein wrote:
> I don't get it!
> How can I drag and drop files to a folder when I'm user?
> For the moment all I can do is write in my home directory.
> When I open KDE config panel as root there is no way to move files around.
> I think I missed something!
> Christophe
> ps: what is gksu and kdesu??

You've had good advice on how to move, view, and otherwise manipulate files or
directories (what Windows users call "folders") that your user identity would
normally be unable to manage. Anything "__su" is an extension that will give
your user temporary "Super User" permissions, but only if you know the
correct Root password when it's requested by the system. See below for a
"second opinion."

> > Just as a tip to include:  the gksu package allows you to run apps as
> > root with a little gui to type in your password like kdesu but it's not
> > a kde app.  For those who don't use KDE there is a non-kde replacement
> >
> > :)  to install just urpmi gksu.  Then you can go to "Run Command" (or
> >
> > like in icewm, use the command input on the taskbar) and just put
> > gksu <programme name>.  I just found it myself a few days ago.  Before
> > that I was using kdesu but it would take forever to come up.  Hope
> > that's helpful to someone!
> >
> > Jer.

Christophe;

If you want to be able to open directories that you don't "own" as a system
user follow Anne's excellent advice for starting from a terminal. That method
has the advantage of displaying errors and warnings when you do something not
understood by the application you want to use. Or try this if you don't feel
comfortable at the command line interface (in a terminal):

Hold down the Alt button, strike the F2 key. In the Run dialogue that opens
type:

kdesu -flags <name of application desired> [Enter] or,

gksu -flags <name of application desired> [Enter]

In both cases you'll need to provide the Root password when the dialogues is
displayed. For the -flags open a terminal and type

kdesu --help or gksu --help [Enter]

An example of the run command I use as the execute command in the "Super User
File Manager" icon/link that I've been adding to users' desktops since that
function disappeared from Mandrake 9.2:

kdesu -nc konqueror

Take anything I may say about gksu with a bucket of salt. I never use it,
haven't installed it on this system, and am unlikely to have time this week
to explore the intricacies. It probably works in a very similar way to kdesu.

Since you're using KDE as your desktop (I think that's what you said) stick
with kdesu for now. I know that works, unless you've cranked the security
level so high there are permissions problems.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 10.0 (RC1) for i586 kernel 2.4.25-0.rc4.1mdk
Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
                -- Robert Heinlein