Have no idea if this has been answered or not.. but I've give it a shot anyway..

sounds to me like your XP partition is NTFS..

Linux can read NTFS fine, but can't write to it.. (well it can, but its probably as likely to trash the ntfs partition as it is to write to it.)
so writing to NTFS is turned off by default..

If you wanna swap stuff back and forth between win and lin, you should create a FAT32 (win98 style) filesystem partition.. both linux and windows XP can read and write to that just fine.

rgds

Franki

Weiers Coetser wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't know if I really understand or if my problem is even
the same.

I'm running a Dual System mode - Windows XP and Mandrake 9.1 with KDE. This
is only my second week that I am involved with Linux in any form.

I manage to read all the files on my /mnt/win_d partition. I've copied them
to my home folder and I'm in the process of converting them to the Open
Office format.

Once or twice i've tried to save files to the mnt/win_d or the mnt/win_c
partitions, but each time I get a message that I could not be done. (No
explanation of what exactly the problem is).

I tried launching konquorer with the 'su' command, but I am still not able
to write files onto that partition. I have a suspicion that the problem lies
with the fact that Windows obviously runs on an NTSC file system and not
Ext3. But I still have a slight hope that if Linux can read the NTSC format,
it could also write it.

Since I am still in the beginning stages of shifting to Linux (I've
committed to doing this completely), I sometimes wish that I had access to a
MP3 file that I ripped in Linux when I work in Windows. (I've not been able
to get my A-Open CD Burner to work in Linux for example...although I believe
it is possible). Off course windows does not even recognise Linux and
therefore the files are inaccessible. So working with two systems becomes
quite uncomfortable.

Do I understand things right? Is there anything that I should do that I have
not tried? Or should I just hurry up and get my Linux installed properly so
that I can throw Windows into the dustbin? (A friend and I have ordered 9.2
and I should have it by the end of the week. I don't know what to expect,
but hopefully I will have less trouble mounting my CD-writer with it.)

Greetings