----- Original Message -----
From: "Raffaele Belardi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 08:44
Subject: Re: [newbie] Bad superblock

> Hoyt,
>
> Let me recap to see if I understand correctly:
>
> - the grub menu presents you with two installations, 9.2 and 10.0
> - when you select 10.0 the boot begins but for some reason it hangs at
> some point

No.  It dosent hang but completes the boot into KDE (via login).  KDE has a
problem with something that will not resolve or clear.  It just comes back
when it is closed(I forgot what it is). Cancle also dosent and there is not
enough time to click on anything else before it reappears.

> - when you select 9.2 grub loads 10.0 anyway (and ends up as above)

Yes,  although it starts to load 9.2,  you can tell because the background
has a 9.2 on it but it ends up with the 10.0 KDE.

> I do not think the superblock error you see is related to the above,
> looks more like when you installed grub something was not done right and
> you ended up with two entries linking to the same kernel image (10.0).
> The loader I use (lilo) does not have the intelligence necessary to do
> the switch you suggest, I assume it is the same for grub.
>
> You could try to use the "reinstall boot loader" of the rescue disk:
> 1. boot from the MDK9.2 cd1
> 2. at the splash, type F1, then rescue
> 3. at the menu, select "reinstall boot loader"
> This should search for existing boot images on the disk and reconstruct
> the lilo (or grub) loader. But, I have never done it so I cannot tell
> you how effective it is.
>
> Another thing you can try is to select "mount existing partitions under
> /mnt" at point 3. above. This will let you access the uncorrupted
> partitions from the rescue disk, and then you could try to modify fstab
> to avoid loading the corrupt partition. But this option depends on how
> familiar you are with the command line, and with the linux configuration
> files.
>
> I don't remember where fsck is located in the rescue disk, but I am
> almost sure I had e2fsck in the path. Try it out, it's the same as fsck
> if you are using ext2 or ext3 (the default installation).

This may complicate things a bit.  9.2 is a Reiserfs installation.  I think
10.0 was installed as a ext2 or ext3.  I'm not absolutely sure I didnt have
enough time to look.

> It's not much, I hope others have better ideas.
>
> raffaele

The only reason I was trying to solve the superblock problem was because
that was the only handle I had.  Would a reiserfs partion make any
difference to your suggestions?

Regards;
Hoyt