----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Urwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 07:12
Subject: Re: [newbie] Bad superblock

> On Saturday 28 Feb 2004 5:52 pm, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> > Disk hda
> > #1 Windows XP(NTFS 46.57GB)
> > #2  Boot (for 9.2 63MB)
> > #3  Root(9.2 64.65GB)
> > #4  Swap(518MB)
> > Disk hdb
> > #1 Music(formatted as fat32 27.96GB)
>
> I would:
> 1) copy anything you don't want to lose (like the contents of /home) to
> Music.
> 2) install 10.0 using the existing partitions, but reformatting them.
>
> when you're happy everything is stable and usable:
> 3) backup anything from Windows that you don't want to lose to Music.
> 4) defragment Windows. Do not optimise the layout.
> 5) boot linux from CD
> 6) shrink the windows partition
> 7) create a new partition at the end of Windows
> 8) that may rename all your partitions*, so edit /etc/fstab to suit.
>
> *I would guess that you have a single primary partition and an extended
> partition on hda, making Boot hda5. If so creating a new primary
> partition will not rename anything.
> --
> Richard Urwin

I can do everything except 6, just dont know how.  What is the new partition
at the end of windows for [win swap, if so how about moving swap there and
let both systems use it windows identifies the current swap partition as a
logical part. so it should be able to use it].  I havent caught linux using
swap yet but when I get on spreadsheets that may change.

Regards;
Hoyt