On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:06:14 -0600
"Hoyt Bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> lilo. This worked but when I booted into 10.0 there was an error which
> I couldnt clear or get around so master reset was pushed to get out of
> the system.  On rebooting to 9.2 several times I noticed scroll past
> on the

Hoyt - this might be similar to my experience with 10.0. I'm on rc1
(updated through urpmi) but my 9.2 partition on /dev/hda7 had (and may
still have) serious problems booting successfully. There were
indications that /etc/fstab on that partition was scrambled (zero bytes
interspersed with text) and the boot loader (lilo) on /dev/hda isn't all
that good compared to the boot loader on /dev/hdb that boots up 10.0.
Moral - don't have two bootable partitions :) as it can get confusing.

If rescue could simply boot hda7 from the CDROM it would be a lot easier
to get into 9.2 and/or get the fix. Thomas Backlund posted some help
recently, but I don't remember the exact subject, you might want to
search the archives.

Other distributions I have used in the past allow this by just typing
'linux boot=/dev/hda7' on the command line of the rescue disk, but
Mandrake doesn't allow this choice.

I also noticed that the modules for the kernel were not accessible,
which doesn't let me do all that much. I tried copying them over, but
that didn't work either.

And, I think you may be confusing the boot partition table with the
superblock. Those are two completely different things.

> screen a note that said bad superblock and the boot was switched to
> 10.0 by the computer now that is all I can boot into even though the
> boot process

Well, in case it really is a bad superblock (have you mounted the
partitions from rescue?) then e2fsck will fix it, and if there really is
a damaged superblock, the filesystem (I assume for the moment you are
using ext2) stores copies every 8192 blocks, with the first block
starting at 1, so then the 2nd copy is at 8193, the third at 8193+8192,
and so forth. If you type "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda (use the right
partition) it should be able to clear things up.

Once cooker stabilizes somewhat, I'm planning on moving it from
/dev/hdb6 back to the original place, /dev/hdb7. simply because
/dev/hdb7 is much bigger, and that gives me extra space to store things
:). It would be kinda neat to just save the state of the system at
present (i.e, all the rpms and their versions and so forth, and
automatically grab any rpms that are in contrib. mklivecd may be what
I'm looking for, but I haven't tried it yet.