On Saturday 28 Feb 2004 6:35 am, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> From: "Richard Urwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Howabout this for a theory:
> > You installed 10.0 on the second disk while it was the only disk in
> > the machine, and therefore was hda. Your mount table, which
> > specifies which disk partitions are mapped to which Linux
> > directories, refers to the partitions on disk b as if they are on
> > disk a. You are therefore using the partitions on the 9.2 disk. The
> > boot procedure works because you are booting from the second
> > disk(?) or you have corrected the grub conf on hda to point to the
> > 10.0 kernel(?) So the kernel loads OK, but the mounted partitions
> > do not point at the 10.0 files, they point at the 9.2 files. In
> > trying to fix it, or in just running 10.0, you corrupted something
> > in the 9.2 files so 9.2 doesn't work either.
>
> Ok thats a reasonable explanition. So the solution is to reformat hdb
> and reinstall 10.0 to hda. A question if I may is there an easy way
> to transfer windows to hdb (dosent sound like there is).  I cant
> reinstall windows because each time I have I have to spend 3 or 4
> days because viruses sneek in while downloading the virus
> definations. Thanks for your input Richard I think you are right.

Send us details of exactly how the two disks are partitioned - use
diskdrake - and the contents of the two /etc/fstab files. I thought you
said that you removed XP.

It may still be possible to rescue at least one disk.
I don't fancy your chances in moving Windows, but you shouldn't have to.
If you don't re-partition the disks it can stay where it is.

--
Richard Urwin