Hi all, I just subscribed to the list today in hopes of finding some help
with my problem. I'm a new Linux user who's only been playing with it for
a couple of weeks. My first install was RedHat 9. I spent lots of time
reading and experimenting, and I finally got it set up pretty well except
the sound wouldn't work. Now I just barely isntalled Mandrake 9.2 and I
have the same problem.

My computer is a Dell GX1 desktop that has been upgraded to a 1Ghz Celeron
CPU. It's got 128MB RAM, 10GB hard drive, and the sound is an onboard
Crystal CS4236B-KQ chip. When I start up 9.2, it says it's loading Alsa
0.9.6, but, when I get into KDE, I get no sound from XMMS. KMix and
alsamixer both show that everything is unmuted and turned up, but no
sound. My problem is that I'm such a Linux newbie that I don't know where
to go from here.

What further info do I need to provide in order for someone to help me?

Thanks. I feel stupid because I've read all kinds of stuff the last two
days trying to find and answer, but I can't seem to make much sense of it.