On Friday 05 Mar 2004 09:20, David B. Carter wrote:
> Derek Jennings said:
> > On Friday 05 Mar 2004 01:58, David B. Carter wrote:
> >> Hi all, I just subscribed to the list today in hopes of finding some
> >> help
> >> with my problem. I'm a new Linux user who's only been playing with it
> >> for
> >> a couple of weeks. My first install was RedHat 9. I spent lots of time
> >> reading and experimenting, and I finally got it set up pretty well
> >> except
> >> the sound wouldn't work. Now I just barely isntalled Mandrake 9.2 and I
> >> have the same problem.
> >>
> >> My computer is a Dell GX1 desktop that has been upgraded to a 1Ghz
> >> Celeron
> >> CPU. It's got 128MB RAM, 10GB hard drive, and the sound is an onboard
> >> Crystal CS4236B-KQ chip. When I start up 9.2, it says it's loading Alsa
> >> 0.9.6, but, when I get into KDE, I get no sound from XMMS. KMix and
> >> alsamixer both show that everything is unmuted and turned up, but no
> >> sound. My problem is that I'm such a Linux newbie that I don't know
> >> where
> >> to go from here.
> >>
> >> What further info do I need to provide in order for someone to help me?
> >>
> >> Thanks. I feel stupid because I've read all kinds of stuff the last two
> >> days trying to find and answer, but I can't seem to make much sense of
> >> it.
> >
> > Welcome to the list.
> >
> > You say there is no sound in xmms, but is there other sound?
> > Can you hear the KDE log on sound?
> >
> > The CS4236 should (I think) load the snd-4236 ALSA driver by default.
> > You can confirm which driver is in use by refferring to the hardware list
> > in
> > Mandrake Conytrol centre.
> >
> > If it is just xmms affected then check the xmms output plugin
> > (Right Click on xmms and select Preferences)
> > Try with the ALSA output plugin.
> > With some sound chips it is necessary to configure the alsa output plugin
> > and
> > select 'Advanced>Mmap mode disabled'
> >
> > If that does not work try the OSS output plugin.
> >
> > You might also like to try setting up your KDE sound
> > In KDEControl Centre>Soubd>SoundSystem select the ALSA sound system.
>
> I apologize for misleading everyone, I have loaded 9.2 on two different
> machines in the last 48 hours, and I must have been thinking of the other
> one (which is not working either, but that another story for another day)
> when I said that ALSA is loading on startup. In reality, on this machine,
> my sound hardware was not automatically detected during the install, and,
> therefore, there are no sound drivers being loaded at all right now. I
> have some ALSA packages installed on the system, but nothing is being
> loaded.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any further ideas would be greatly
> appreciated!

OK In that case install alsa-utils  (and newt if not already installed)
Then in a terminal become root (with su) and enter
alsaconf
A text based GUI will configure your sound modules and write a
new /etc/modules.conf file for you.
Alsaconf will not copy your existing nonsound module config to the new file so
**it is ESSENTIAL** to make a backup first and copy the configuration of your
non sound modules back again afterwards.

If the sound module still does no load correctly, then I would suspect an IRQ
conflict is preventing the sound hardware being identified. That might
explain why it was not detected during install.

derek

BTW: You still have "Reply To" set in your Squirrelmail email settings. It is
not necessary and is a PITA
(Options>Personal Setting)

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net