On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:07:19 -0800
David E. Fox disseminated the following:

> > Also, IME, VCD output is rather blocky, not good quality at all. I
> > always use the -svcdout arg. It takes about 48 hours (and takes up 2
> > CD's) on this poor old
>
> I'm trying svcdout now. Original is a DIVX pulled off of Usenet. My
> first encode, after running the mplex gave me a flick where the audio
> isn't exactly in sync with the video, and that's been happening on a lot
> of the vcds I've been doing (which isn't a lot). I thought that's the
> reason behind having to do -vfr 1. When I try the command again, it's
> not complaining about the framerate, it's complaining about the aspect
> ratio.

Sorry, right, if it barfs on that one, that's where you have to set tvnorm and
vfr.

When it *does* fail without specifying the tvnorm, it will have the framerate of
the video in the output, check that to make sure you are using the right vfr
value. This is why I always try running the script first without the tvnorm and
vfr specified.

I don't seem to have the sound-syncing problem, though the one exception was
really strange: the video came in two parts, each 700 MB, clearly encoded by the
same person, at least by the filename; encoded to SVCD, the first CD the sound
was out of sync by a maybe half a second, the second CD was fine. Downloaded a
different version of the same CD1, same out-of-sync. On my third try right now.
Sheesh.

Anyhow, from what I've heard from Tom Brinkman on this issue is that you are
pretty much at the mercy of whomever encoded the original DivX. You might try
changing your sources, maybe try MLDonkey instead. Prolly not as fast as the
transfers from usenet, but I've pretty fair luck getting everything I want, and
with that one exception, they've encoded perfectly.

> If I could keep the dialog from being out of sync, I'd pretty much have
> things cooking rather well. IME, disk size is a problem - you have the
> AVI, plus intermediary files (mpa, mpv), mplex output, cd image, etc.
> All that takes up a lot of space - it would be nice to chain all this
> stuff together using named pipes :).

Ya, you need at least a few GB free, but these days you'd have trouble finding a
hard drive for sale under 60 GB.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046