On Sunday 21 March 2004 09:29, Anne Wilson wrote:

<snip>
> That's my feeling, too.  As for comparing releases, it's just
> about impossible.  What is brilliant on one machine is a total
> disaster on others.  8.2 is lauded by most, but was a disaster
> for me.  9.0 worked, more or less and 9.1 was brilliant - I'm
> reluctant to change this box.
>
> There are no easy answers, but it's certainly an issue that has
> to be considered when thinking of giving linux to non-techy
> users.
</snip>

Like you Anne, I was reluctant to install 10.0 what with having
spent weeks to get 9.2 running well. But surprise : yesterday I
shuffled the CD2 into the cupholder and lo and behold, one hour
later 10.0 CE runs like a charm. Not only that, it runs about 30 %
faster, especially KDE. And, for the first time, I took the option
of installing the updates right away, during the initial install.
Everything worked well. Only minor glitches (so far) :

Now my printer (HP 3820) performs some (noisy) drills during the
boot process - but after a while it works.

I had a /data partition (hda4) on 9.2, but 10.0 insisted to mount it
as /mnt/windows (it is a FAT32 partition), but I don't like to see
that word on my otherwise clean machine. So I had to edit fstab in
order to get things straight.

I'm a little confused about the "Mandrake Update". Seems that the
normal update repositories are gone and all updates are on the same
directory, just with higher version numbers. Haven't browsed that
many mirrors, though.

Although I'm a Club Silver Member, I haven't been able to get my
hands on Acrobat Reader or RealPlayer, but I can live with that.

All in all : what a nice experience !

Kaj Haulrich.
--
* Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer *
* running Linux kernel 2.6.3 on Mandrake 10.0 *